QUICK FACTS ABOUT PASS
Who is Eligible?
Any high school student registered in a school in Washington and referred to a PASS Contact Person is eligible to enroll in PASS courses.
What is the criteria for participation?
Based on guidance from OSPI, students who satisfy one or more of the following conditions may enroll in PASS courses:
- Failed the course offered in school and cannot repeat it in time to graduate with peers.
- Missed a significant part of the course due to absence (family migratory lifestyle, illness, childbirth, juvenile detention).
- Was unable to keep up with students in class due to limited English language fluency.
- Formerly dropped out of school, and has now returned to complete remaining degree requirements, or is over age.
- Finds the needed course is not offered in time to graduate with peers, or there is a scheduling conflict.
- Moved mid-semester between schools and found the course not offered, or there was a scheduling conflict.
How do I succeed in PASS?
Experienced Contact Persons report that students who succeed in PASS courses often have certain characteristics in common:
- Staff: please read. Thank you!
- Demonstrated ability to work semi-independently
- Full-time high school student
- Enrolled in 6 or fewer units (one course = 5 units)
- Works 2 hrs./wk. with a PASS Contact Person, a mentor, tutor, or paraeducator
Do you accomodate limited English language proficiency?
Many PASS courses are available in the Spanish language. However, as a general rule, students should be reading and writing in English at about the 8th grade level to benefit fully from these written courses.
How much time do I have to complete courses?
Enrollments placed in the regular school year end June 14th, or when enrolled units have been tested.
Enrollments placed in the summer school year end August 22nd, or when enrolled units have been tested
How much does it cost?
Effective September 2012, PASS courses cost $150.00 for a full 5 unit course, or $30.00/unit. Payment is made by cashiers check, money order or purchase order.
Are courses in alignment with State standards ?
SEMY has worked with curriculum experts across the state to update all courses and align them with the Washington State EALRs. All course materials are fully accredited through Sunnyside School District by the Northwest Accredition Commission Boise, Idaho.
Suggested next step?
From the PASS pulldown menu, choose "Getting Started".